If you have purchased a laptop or desktop during the Covid-19 outbreak it will come with a version of Windows 10 pre-installed and set up by CSCS to be best for working from home, and managed by our "Remote Device Management" service. Please see our page "Your New Computer" for guidance on getting started with it.
Network connection issues
Unfortunately since this is a setup you will be using at home we cannot help you with network issues. However here you can find some basic trouble shooting steps.
- No connection at all (wireless or wired connection)
- Unplug your router from power and wait 10 seconds before plugging it back in. Make sure all lights disappear on the router before plugging it back in.
- Check if you are still getting wireless connection on any of your devices such as mobile phone.
- If you are getting connection on your phone but not on your laptop this might mean there is an issue with your laptop. (Make sure you turn off mobile data on your phone and try using just wireless to confirm this)
- If you are not receiving any connection on your laptop/computer but are getting connection on your mobile phone and you have restarted your router already you may have a hardware failure in which case please get in contact with us and we will arrange a time slot for you to come in to Clinical School for diagnosis.
2. Slow connection
- Unfortunately since you are not using our network we cannot do anything to help with slow connection
Try running google speed test (Simply type in "Speed test" into google)
Once you get to this screen press "Run Speed Test"
In order to have basic functionality and be able to make video calls you need to definitely have at minimum 10Mbps Download speed and 1.5Mbps Upload speed.
If those are not achieved with your current setup please make sure you locate your self as close to the router as possible. If this is not an option you can look into purchasing wireless signal extenders such as this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX3700/dp/B00XYEPLXU/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+extender&qid=1587651911&sr=8-6)
Alternatively you can make sure you are plugged in via ethernet cable.
Unfortunately your internet speed can vary depending on supplier and the deal you have. We strongly advise to revise your contract and see if you can get a better deal somewhere else if your current supplier is not good enough.