This page is a guide for applying a forward to your SLCU or Medschl email account to an external address, for example Hermes (@cam.ac.uk). These guides use Outlook Web App (OWA) to achieve this, as this service is available to all users who have an active mailbox.
Before you apply a forward on your Email account It is very important to make sure that you do not already have any forwards in place. If you would like to forward your email to your Hermes email but you already have a forward in place from Hermes to Medschl or SLCU it will cause a loop and you will lose any email that are sent during this time. To check if you have a forward in place on an account send a message to the account, if the email does not arrive then it is most probably being forwarded on.
Redirecting email for Medschl users
Redirecting your emails will set a “rule” on your mailbox to auto-forward all your incoming emails to a preferred email address, as well as leaves a copy of the original email in your inbox.
In order to redirect your emails, please follow the below steps:
- Log in to Webmail using your Medschl (also known as MINTS) domain username and password (that you would use to log in to a supported departmental computer). The URL is: https://webmail.medschl.cam.ac.uk
- Select the cog icon in the top-right of the window, next to your name. Then select Options from the drop-down menu:
- In the options page, select the organize email option.
- The inbox rules pane should appear. Select the plus icon and then select Create a new rule for arriving messages...from the drop-down menu:
- The new inbox rule window will open. Enter a suitable name for your redirection rule. In the When the message arrives, and drop-down menu, select the [Apply to all messages] option.
- In the Do the following drop-down menu, select the Redirect the message to... option. This will immediately load a new page where you can select who to send your emails to.
- If you have an email address saved in your contacts that you wish to use, then this can be selected. Otherwise type in the email address you wish to redirect your emails to, and select the option to use it from the drop-down menu.
- Select OK to proceed. You will be returned to the rule screen.
- You will see that the email address you specified is now listed. If you are happy to proceed with the redirection, then press save to commit it.
- OPTIONAL: If you select More options... there are further, more advanced rule configurations that can be applied.
- You will receive a warning that will ask you to confirm if you want to apply this rule to all future messages. If you are happy with the rule, then press yes to proceed.
- The new rule window will close and the inbox rules page within the options menu should show your new rule. If you click on it, then a summary is shown on the right to explain what the rule does.
- Rules can be enabled or disabled by ticking or unticking the On box, on the left of each rule.
- Rules can be edited, deleted or reordered using the icons along the top bar of the rule list.
- If you need more help, the ? icon in the top right, next to your name, can be selected and the Help button clicked on. This will load the context-sensitive help system, which will give you help based on the page you are currently on (i.e. if you are on the inbox rules page, the help system will give you information on inbox rules).