The following document details the different aspects of the process to migrate customers of the Sainsbury Lab from using an @SLCU mailbox that uses your @SLCU login details to using an @CAM mailbox, related to their Cambridge University @CAM / Raven login details.
This will hopefully answer all your queries related to the migration.
Benefits of migrating to Exchange Online
- Exchange Online is tightly integrated with MS Teams and the Microsoft Office suite so there are features you can't currently use until you migrate.
- The amount of storage provided by the Exchange Online solution is higher than your existing SLCU account.
- It is part of the University of Cambridge and UIS strategy that all University employees will eventually use a centrally managed email solution which will see a reduction in costs for mail services.
- The move to Exchange Online allows UIS to complete remaining Hermes migrations.
- Moving to Exchange Online improves the robustness of the email solution we provide to you.
General Points for all users
- Once migration to Exchange Online has taken place, your mail address will continue to be Firstname.firstname.lastname@example.org when sending email.
- You will automatically receive any email that is addressed to your email@example.com into this same mailbox.
- On logging into your Exchange Online mailbox you should use your Raven username (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- Once you are notified on the Teams Computing channel that the final step to copy your mail to the Exchange Online mailbox is underway you should cease using your SLCU (SLCU login credentials) account mailbox.
- You can commence using your Exchange Online account once you have received notification on the Teams Computing channel,
- Once you have been notified that the process to migrate you has commenced (between 21st June and 1st July) any new email sent to you will appear in the Exchange Online inbox , not in your SLCU mailbox. Ensure you do not use your old SLCU mail account to send out any more emails.
- If you happen to be on leave during the migration don’t worry. The migration will still take place but on returning please remember to read any messaging on the Computing Teams channel before commencing using your mailbox and follow the instructions supplied. We suggest you initially login to the outlook.office365.com to review any instructions as any automated email notifications will no longer appear in your SLCU related email Inbox but will appear in your Exchange Online mailbox.
- Be mindful that UIS only support Microsoft Outlook and Thunderbird email clients. Other clients may work but have more limited capability. Instructions to configure email clients can be found in the UIS help sheets here; Exchange Online | IT Help and Support (cam.ac.uk)
What will migrate?
The following will migrate;
- The email you have sent to other people (up until migration commences)
- All email you have received
- All attachments related to these emails
- Your calendar
- All room and meeting bookings both past and future
- Your contacts list
- The majority of your Inbox rules (as long as these did not include email addresses from parties external to the University of Cambridge)
- Any shared mailbox related automated notifications from equipment or systems on site.
What will not migrate?
- Email signatures
- Email addresses that have been previously stored and automatically complete when typing in the ‘To’ box on writing a new email, particularly if these related to email addresses ‘supplied’ from users who are external to the University of Cambridge.
- Complex email processing rules, particularly those involving email addresses from the SLCU Global Address List.
- The SLCU Global Address List and distribution lists/groups therein
- Any emails archived to a separate Outlook data file.
Pre-migration steps; Tasks recommended in advance of all migrations
- Copy the existing email signature details that you wish to keep using and that are created within your SLCU mailbox, in order to easily recreate these post migration.
- Copy / make a note of any critical auto-complete addresses (the ones that automatically complete on keying into the ‘To’ box on writing an email), particularly those that relate to parties external to the University of Cambridge and ensure they are safely stored in your Contacts in advance of migration.
- If you have complex email processing rules in place, for example a particular senders emails are moved to a specific inbox on receipt, the majority will be migrated successfully. However if any of these are particularly complex or use external email addresses as part of the rule (those stored in the existing Global Address List), the rule will migrate, but may not work. Hence you should ensure you make a note of these more complex rules so that you can manually replicate these following migration.
- The existing SLCU Global Address List related to all internal staff and visitors that need to be included in any department wide email notifications will be copied to a new Contacts list and made available to you. Please ensure you receive a copy of this.
- Backup any archived email data files to a safe location using the instructions found here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-and-close-outlook-data-files-pst-381b776d-7511-45a0-953a-0935c79d24f2. We recommend that these emails are imported to Exchange Online post migration given that these data files are not automatically backed up by CSCS and are therefore at risk.
- If you use your SLCU mailbox on multiple devices e.g. laptop, desktop & phone, we suggest that you remove the mail accounts from any additional devices and use only one device from the date of your migration until completed, in order to avoid lock outs.
Timing and Locations of Communications during migration
- An email introducing the migration process will be sent to everybody who will be migrating by whichever means, to be received by 4th June.
- The specific batch and therefore date your migration falls into will be confirmed in a communication that will be sent to you week commencing 14th June, based on your current configuration, whether you have shared mailbox access and whether you already have an Exchange Online mailbox. This will be sent by email.
- A message will be posted in the SLCU Computing Teams channel once the copy stage is underway on 17th June. This activity should not affect your ability to send or receive email from your current mailbox.
- You will receive a notification that the final stage of your migration (the 'Commit' stage) is about to commence specific to the batch date already supplied to you. This will appear in the SLCU Computing Channel on Teams. From this point you should stop using email until notified that the process is complete. Then follow the instructions specific to your circumstance that are supplied to you.
- Any further notifications will be received automatically and appear in your new Exchange Online mailbox. Hence we recommend to log in to the Outlook Web App (outlook.office365.com) in the first instance to check any further messages.
You will be notified within the notifications to be sent week commencing 14th June, which process you fall into, based on the configuration of your current mailbox, whether you have an existing Exchange Online Mailbox and whether you have Shared Mailbox access. This message will also confirm the date of your migration.
If you only have an SLCU mailbox and do not have an existing Exchange Online mailbox, we will confirm this and advise of the steps you must take and the date when you will be migrating.
An existing batch process will be used to copy all the contents of your mailbox (all items described above as included in the migration), create a new Exchange Online mailbox for you and update your existing content to the new mailbox.
This is a 2 stage process.
The ‘copy’ stage will take place during the latter part of the week, commencing Thursday 17th June. You will see no change in the way your email operates at this stage. However if you experience any problems please call the CSCS Service Desk.
We will be completing the final step to move the SLCU email service (non-Exchange online users) to UIS on 21st, 22nd and 23rd June. You will have been told which of these dates applies to you in your email notification.
During that day you will have a 2 hour window of the working day to send email, in the morning. At approximately 11am on that date you will be advised that the final ‘Commit’ step to move you to Exchange Online is underway and to cease sending email from your SLCU mailbox.
If you continue to send mail from your SLCU mailbox beyond this point then a copy of that sent email may not be copied into Exchange Online.
From experience this step should take no longer than 2 hours. Please refrain from using email during this period of time.
Once migration is complete you will be notified on the Computing channel on Teams. You will also receive an automated notification into your Exchange Online mailbox that can be seen in the Outlook Web App.
Please use the following instructions to create a new Outlook email Profile on Exchange Online; https://confluence.medschl.cam.ac.uk/x/mYO4Bg
You are able to use your Outlook Web App (outlook.office365.com) in the first instance, or if you encounter problems, during and after the migration.
Further instructions as to how to log in to your new mailbox and configure it can be found on the UIS online help pages here;
If you already have an existing Exchange Online mailbox, we will confirm this and advise of the steps you must take and the date when your migration will commence;
Because you already have an Exchange Online account, this process will copy your existing email from your SLCU account mailbox (the one you log into using your SLCU credentials), to your UIS account, Exchange Online mailbox which uses your Raven credentials.
Your migration will commence between 28th June and 1st July.
Once the process begins to copy your SLCU account mailbox content you will be notified by email and also on the Computing Channel on Teams. At this point please cease sending email from your SLCU account mailbox. If you continue to send mail from your SLCU mailbox beyond this point then a copy of that sent email may not be copied into Exchange Online.
From the point of notification you should log into your existing Exchange Online account using your @cam credentials. You can use this email account to send out new email and new email will only be received into this account from that point. After a period of time you will start to see SLCU related mailbox email content gradually appearing in the Exchange Online mailbox. The process for mail to be moved across can take several hours to several days.
During this time please continue to work solely from your Exchange Online mailbox, though you will be able to refer back to the old SLCU mailbox in order to read historic email that is yet to copy across. If you are using Outlook you will be able to leave Outlook connected to your SLCU mailbox. However be sure not to send new email from your SLCU mailbox.
If Outlook is not yet connected to your Exchange Online mailbox, to improve your experience, and because this is the only mailbox into which new email will arrive, please add your Exchange Online account to Outlook using the following instructions; https://confluence.medschl.cam.ac.uk/x/XIO4Bg
At some point you will find that all email has been copied across and you can cease using the @SLCU account mailbox entirely.
If you have any problems during the migration please contact the CSCS Service Desk on 01223 336261.
Further detail related to Exchange Online can be found here. Exchange Online | IT Help and Support (cam.ac.uk)
Support during the migration
Support during the migration will be provided by the Clinical School Computing Service CSCS. If you experience any issues with your email during this time please call 01223 336261.
Recommended post-migration housekeeping
- Set up your Signatures using any details you copied pre-migration.
- Review any critical mail processing rules and if any are missing, recreate them using these instructions. Set up mail processing rules in Outlook | IT Help and Support (cam.ac.uk)
- Ensure you have the copy of the SLCU Global Address List as a Contacts List in case it is needed.
- If you have access to delegated mailboxes in addition to your own mailbox, ensure you add each of those delegated mailboxes manually to your account.
Post migration support
Even though the migration will have moved your email solution to the UIS, negotiations have taken place to agree that First Line Support for all queries will continue to be supplied by CSCS. This means that you do not need to try and decide who to call if you have a problem.
The Service Desk phone number for all queries remains as 01223 336261.
If your issue needs escalating then a process has been agreed to seamlessly integrate the CSCS Service Desk with the UIS support staff in order to answer your call promptly.
Further UIS supplied Exchange Online support pages can be found here;