You can configure your Medschl or SLCU email to automatically send response messages. This is helpful for when you are on holiday, out of the office, or in the process of phasing out an email account.
You need to have a Medschl or SLCU email account to use this service. Hermes users can refer to Redirecting email:
- Sign in to webmail using the following URL - https://webmail.medschl.cam.ac.uk
- In the top-right corner, next to your name, select the cog icon and then select Set automatic replies from the drop-down menu.
- You will be immediately taken to the automatic replies page:
- For a basic automatic response, select the Send automatic replies radio box, leave the time period check box unticked, and enter the message you wish people to receive. The first text box allows you to set a message that will be received by colleagues within the same organisation, i.e. any person emailing you from within the Clinical School with Medschl email address.
- You can also configure a response to people outside of your organisation using the second text box below the first. This can be the same response if you wish, or something slightly different. To turn this on, check the box for Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization and choose if you wish to send to all or only to people in your contacts list.
- When you are finished and wish to turn on the automatic response, select the save button at the bottom left. This will turn on your automatic replies immediately.
- To turn off automatic replies, select the Don't send automatic replies radio button near the top of the page.
Sign in to webmail click "Options" at the upper right corner, and select "Set Automatic Replies..." from the drop down list.
Under "Automatic Replies", the default option is "Don't send automatic replies" and the rest of screen is grayed out.
Click "Send automatic replies" option and then:
- Select "Send replies only during this time period" and choose a start time and an end time.
- Compose your message in the text box and format it in any way that you want.
Determine whether you want the auto reply to be sent to people outside of the organisation.
- If not, uncheck "Send automatic reply message to senders outside my organization" option (see above image), and then click "Save" button.
If yes, decide whether you want only the people in your Contacts lists to receive the message or anybody who email you in that period. Compose a different message (or copy and paste from above), then click "Save" button.
A "Saving the Information..." box appears to indicate the process, once it disappears, click "My Mail" in the upper right corner to go back to Inbox. An auto reply will be sent to people who email you during the period you defined.
In Outlook 2010/2013/2016, click "File" tab, on the left, "Info" is selected by default (if not, click to select it), then click "Automatic Replies" button in the middle.
The "Automatic Replies" window pops up, by default "Do not send automatic replies" option is selected.
Click the radio button for "Send automatic replies" option.
- Define a start time and an end time for how long the auto message will apply.
- Under "Inside My Organization" tab, compose your message in the text field. You can format the message in any way that you want.
- You can also add more specific conditions by clicking the Rules... button
When you're done with the message, if you click "OK" button, you'll get a warning message:
Click "Outside My Organization" tab:
- If you want people outside of the organisation to receive an auto-reply, type in a message (could copy and past from previous message or compose a different one). Choose whether you would like to send an auto reply to each person who sends you an e-mail message or only to people who are listed in your Contacts.
- If you do not want outside people to receive an auto reply, uncheck "Auto-reply to people outside my organization" option.
Click "OK". An auto reply will be sent to people who email you during the time that you defined above.