You should have been provided this link because you have a new Windows computer that is configured for a CSCS remote setup. This guide will take you through all the steps to get your computer set up.
Internet connection of at least 10Mb/s (please see Home Networking and Connection Issues for recommendations)
Ethernet cable to connect the computer directly to your internet router (preferred) or the name of your WiFi and the password to connect.
If a desktop computer you'll also need a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
For a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection it is approximately 60-90 minutes.
- If possible, connect your computer to the network by plugging in an ethernet cable (preferred as it will be more reliable)
- Connect the computer to the mains, and power it on.
- Choose a language (only required when multiple languages are installed), locale, and keyboard. (See below)
- Connect it to a wireless or wired network with internet access. If using wireless, enter your home Wi-Fi information.
- Enter your Clinical School email (@medschl or @biosci) and you will be re-directed to our sign-in page (see below). Please enter your CSCS password to sign in to the device.
- You will see the page below whilst the device is configuring. Please wait for this to complete and prompt for login, your device will then be ready to use. For a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection it is approximately 60-90 minutes. (Hint: You may want to let this run overnight)
- During this time the following will happen:
- Basic computer set up
- Windows settings & security settings such as the Firewall, logon settings, BitLocker encryption
Software will be downloaded & installed:
The following software will be downloaded to your device and installed:
- MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher)
- Google Chrome
- FileZilla FTP client
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Forticlient VPN Client
- Microsoft Teams
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Kace Management client
- Company Portal
- MS Teams will sign in with your @medschl account please sign out and back in with your @cam account further details on our MS Teams page.
- What you should do next
- Log into the Computer using your normal "crsid" and CSCS password. If the PC has not finished synchronising (or you are using a Zoology / Biosci account) you may need to enter your email address as the username the first time.
Log into One drive using your "<crsid>@cam.ac.uk" email address and Raven password.
Note: Once you sign in to OneDrive your "Documents", "Desktop" and "Favourites" folders will redirect to OneDrive (any existing files will be uploaded automatically)
- Click on the OneDrive icon by the clock (you may need to click the "up arrow" to show the icon):
- You will then get a popup box asking for your email address - please enter your "<crsid>@cam.ac.uk" email address and click "Sign in". You will then be taken to the University of Cambridge branded login page:
- Enter your Raven password and click "Sign in"
- The OneDrive icon will then change to become blue, indicating it has signed in:
- Open Explorer - by clicking on the Folder icon on the desktop, or by pressing the Windows key and E together.
- You should see "OneDrive - University of Cambridge" listed on the left:
- Expand this by clicking the arrow beside it, and you should see at least the folders "Desktop" and "Documents" listed.
- Create a file on your Desktop - right-click on a blank space of the Desktop and choose "New > Text Document" you can give it a name or leave it as "New Text Document". It should briefly show two blue arrows in a circle, indicating it it being Synchronised to OneDrive, before then getting a green-tick indicating it has been uploaded:
- Go to the "Documents" folder in Explorer, and repeat the process - the file should get the blue arrows in the "Status" column initially, before changing to a green-tick:
- If you had anything in your University of Cambridge OneDrive you should see it listed in the OneDrive folders.
- Launch the "Company Portal" application (search the Start menu for "Company Portal"):
If prompted, select the correct category (Medschool or Zoology) and click Done (If you are not prompted then this may have been pre-set):
- Mapping network drives is the same as on other remote Windows devices - please see the guide page here: Mapping a Network Drive via VPN - Windows
- Installing applications - please visit "https://software.medschl.cam.ac.uk/" and select the software you need. You computer will be called "CSCS-<SerialNumber>" - the name can be confirmed by launching the Company Portal app, scrolling down the main page until you see "Devices", and you will see "This device" and the name underneath:
Alternatively, you should have Administrator rights on the PC, and can download and install applications yourself - if you cannot please contact the Service Desk to be made an administrator.
Confirming your setup:
What do they need to do to test?
Setting up Outlook (Office 365)
Signing into Teams
Adding an Office printer: Adding a printer
Mapping a group drive
Please see our FAQ pages for answers to common questions and issues: Intune FAQ's