You should have been provided this link because you have a new Windows computer that is configured for a CSCS remote setup. This guide will take you through all the steps to get your computer set up.
Internet connection of at least 10Mb/s (please see Home Networking and Connection Issues for recommendations)
Ethernet cable to connect the computer directly to your internet router (preferred) or the name of your WiFi and the password to connect.
If a desktop computer you'll also need a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
For a Zero-touch device: if you have a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection it is approximately 60-90 minutes.
- If possible, connect your computer to the network by plugging in an ethernet cable (preferred as it will be more reliable)
- Connect the computer to the mains, and power it on.
- Choose a language (only required when multiple languages are installed), locale, and keyboard. (See below)
- Connect to a wireless or wired network with internet access. If using wireless, enter your home Wi-Fi information.
- Enter your crsid followed by @medschl.cam.ac.uk or @biosci.cam.ac.uk (for Zoology / Biosci users) and you will be re-directed to our sign-in page (see below). Please enter your Clinical School password to sign in to the device.
- You will see the page below whilst the device is configuring. Please wait for this to complete and prompt for login, your device will then be ready to use. For a Zero-touch device: if you have a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection it is approximately 60-90 minutes. (Hint: You may want to let this run overnight).
White-glove and VIP devices have already had this software pre-installed.
- During this time the following will happen:
- Basic computer set up
- Windows settings & security settings such as the Firewall, logon settings, BitLocker encryption
Software will be downloaded & installed:
The following software will be downloaded to your device and installed:
- MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher)
- Google Chrome
- FileZilla FTP client
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Forticlient VPN Client
- Microsoft Teams
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Kace Management client
- Company Portal
- MS Teams will automatically sign you in with your @medschl account - which is not in use. You will need to sign out and back in with your @cam account. Please see our MS Teams page for more information.
- What you should do next
- Log into the Computer using your normal "crsid" and CSCS password. If the PC has not finished synchronising (or you are using a Zoology / Biosci account) you may need to enter your crsid followed by @biosci.cam.ac.uk (for Zoology / Biosci users) or firstname.lastname@example.org as the username the first time.
Log into One drive using your "<crsid>@cam.ac.uk" email address and Raven password.
Note: Once you sign in to OneDrive your "Documents", "Desktop" and "Pictures" folders will redirect to OneDrive (any existing files will be uploaded automatically)
- Open Explorer - by clicking on the Folder icon on the desktop, or by pressing the Windows key and E together.
- You should see "OneDrive - University of Cambridge" listed on the left:
- Expand this by clicking the arrow beside it, and you should see at least the folders "Desktop" and "Documents" listed.
- Create a file on your Desktop - right-click on a blank space of the Desktop and choose "New > Text Document" you can give it a name or leave it as "New Text Document". It should briefly show two blue arrows in a circle, indicating it it being Synchronised to OneDrive, before then getting a green-tick indicating it has been uploaded:
- Go to the "Documents" folder in Explorer, and repeat the process - the file should get the blue arrows in the "Status" column initially, before changing to a green-tick:
- If you had anything in your University of Cambridge OneDrive you should see it listed in the OneDrive folders.
- Launch the "Company Portal" application (search the Start menu for "Company Portal"):
If prompted, select the correct category (Medschool or Zoology) and click Done (If you are not prompted then this may have been pre-set):
- Mapping network drives is the same as on other remote Windows devices - please see the guide page here: Mapping a Network Drive via VPN - Windows
- Installing applications - please visit "https://software.medschl.cam.ac.uk/" and select the software you need. You computer will be called "CSCS-<SerialNumber>" - the name can be confirmed by launching the Company Portal app, scrolling down the main page until you see "Devices", and you will see "This device" and the name underneath:
Alternatively, you should have Administrator rights on the PC, and can download and install applications yourself - if you cannot please contact the Service Desk to be made an administrator.
Setting up Outlook (Office 365)
Signing into Teams
Adding an Office printer: Adding a printer
Mapping a group drive
How to connect to the VPN & When to use the VPN
Please see our FAQ pages for answers to common questions and issues: Remotely Managed Device FAQ's