You should have been provided this link because you have a new Windows computer that is configured for a CSCS remote setup. This guide will take you through all the steps to get your computer set up.
Internet connection of at least 10Mb/s (please see Home Networking and Connection Issues for recommendations)
Ethernet cable to connect the computer directly to your internet router (preferred) or the name of your WiFi and the password to connect.
If a desktop computer you'll also need a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
For a Zero-touch device: if you have a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection it is approximately 60-90 minutes.
You must have changed your RAVEN password from the one initially set: https://password.raven.cam.ac.uk/
You must also have configured Multi Factor Authentication on your RAVEN account, as this is now required by UIS: https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/service/accounts-passwords/multi-factor-authentication/mfa-set-up
- If possible, connect your computer to the network by plugging in an ethernet cable (preferred as it will be more reliable)
Connect the computer to the mains, and power it on.
You may simply see a Login Screen - this is normal if your device has been "pre-provisioned" by us - this means applications and configuration has been pre-applied before the device is handed over. If you see just a login screen please skip to step 7 below.
- Choose a language (only required when multiple languages are installed), locale, and keyboard. (See below)
- Connect to a wireless or wired network with internet access. If using wireless, enter your home Wi-Fi information. Note: Please do not use the UniOfCam or Eduroam WiFi for this step, as doing so would prevent your computer from connecting properly. Instead use your home wireless network.
- The PC should now show the screens below, and will reboot before continuing the automated setup process:
- You will see the page below whilst the device is configuring. Please wait for this to complete and prompt for login, your device will then be ready to use. For a Zero-touch device: if you have a 10Mb/s internet connection the download & setup time is approximately 2 hours. On a 100Mb/s connection, it is approximately 60-90 minutes. (You may want to let this run overnight).
Pre-provisioned devices have already had this software pre-installed.
- During this time the following will happen:
- Basic computer set up
- Windows settings & security settings such as the Firewall, logon settings, BitLocker encryption
Software will be downloaded & installed:
The following software will be downloaded to your device and installed:
- MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher)
- Google Chrome
- FileZilla FTP client
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Forticlient VPN Client
- Microsoft Teams
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Kace Management client
- Company Portal
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Teams
Please note some programs might take a few hours to download and not appear when you first login to your device
This is known behaviour for MS Office 365 and MS Teams - Once they appear please sign into both programs using your using your "<crsid>@cam.ac.uk" email address and Raven password.
If you receive an error saying that an application failed to install, simply click the "Continue anyway" button at the bottom-left of the screen - any applications that fail to install at this point will simply be downloaded and installed once the rest of the setup has completed.
- Once the download & setup is completed you will see a "normal" Windows Login screen. Please login with your normal "crsid" and CSCS password. If the PC has not finished synchronising (or you are using a Zoology / Biosci account) you may need to enter your crsid followed by @biosci.cam.ac.uk (for Zoology / Biosci users) or email@example.com as the username the first time.